
At least 12 people were killed and others wounded in Sudan’s North Kordofan state as fighting between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces intensified, forcing thousands of civilians to flee their homes.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said local authorities reported that more than a dozen civilians were killed and others injured Friday during clashes in Um Arada, southwest of the state capital, El Obeid.
The International Organization for Migration said more than 4,200 people were displaced from Um Arada and surrounding areas on Friday and Saturday.
Witnesses said the army carried out airstrikes and drone attacks against RSF positions in North Kordofan and Blue Nile states. The attacks came as ground fighting had eased in some areas, with both sides increasingly relying on drones.

The army and allied forces have been seeking to expand their control in North Kordofan and secure areas around El Obeid, while the RSF maintains positions west and south of the city.
The violence has also disrupted humanitarian operations, forcing aid organizations to suspend activities in Al Mazroub locality, which is facing a cholera outbreak.
In Blue Nile state, renewed fighting was reported last week around Geisan and Kurmuk and surrounding areas. The IOM estimates that about 5,400 people have been displaced in recent days.
The renewed violence adds to Sudan’s wider humanitarian crisis, which has forced millions from their homes and disrupted access to food, health care and other basic services.
OCHA called on the warring parties to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure and allow humanitarian aid to reach people safely and without obstruction.
Despite the insecurity, humanitarian agencies continue to provide assistance. The World Food Program reached about 2.3 million people with food assistance across Darfur last month, OCHA said.
Sudan’s 2026 humanitarian appeal requires $2.9 billion, but only about $1.2 billion had been received, leaving it 41% funded.
